Academic Programs


  • Facebook   twitter   Photo gallery

For Parents

We understand that parents may be a little nervous about sending their students abroad to study. We hope to ease your anxiety by providing helpful information to address many of your questions. If you don't see the answer to your questions here, please contact Transylvania's study abroad office at (859) 233-8124.

Financial Information

The amount of an individual student's financial aid award from Transylvania that can be applied to a semester study abroad program varies. After the university's study abroad budget has been approved, the financial aid office will prepare an itemized award letter for each student who has applied to study abroad.

Keep in mind that state and federal financial aid, and/or outside scholarship grants, may also be used to help pay for a study abroad program.

If you have questions about your student’s awards or aid, please contact Dave Cecil, associate vice president for financial aid, at (859) 233-8239.

Students are responsible for paying any deposits the study abroad program requires; Transylvania will pay tuition and fees. If you receive an invoice from the program, please mail it to the study abroad office.

After the approved amount of awards and financial aid is deducted, Transylvania will send you a bill for the remaining balance, if applicable.

If you have questions about billing or a payment plan, please contact Transylvania’s accounting office at (859) 233-8150.

Insurance Abroad

Trip Cancellation Insurance

Medical Insurance

You must have insurance for medical care and accidents, including emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains. If you currently have medical insurance, confirm that it will provide coverage while your student is abroad. If you do not have medical insurance, or your coverage does not extend to being abroad, or you need additional insurance, you may purchase a short-term policy from one of the following companies:

International Student Identity Card

The ISIC (International Student Identity Card) only provides coverage for accidents, emergency evacuation, and repatriation of remains. It does NOT cover general emergency room or doctor visits.

If your current or short-term policy does not provide coverage for emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains, you should purchase the ISIC from the Study Abroad Office at 421 N. Broadway, 2nd floor.

The ISIC card also provides discounts for travel, museums, and other tourist services.

© 2003-2016 Transylvania University. All rights reserved.

Transylvania University admits students regardless of age, race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, national origin, or any other classification protected by federal or state law or local ordinance. Title IX information